Subject: Re: BAD BLOCKS WITH SCSI DISKS, HOW TO REMAP
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/1996 11:32:13
On Tue, 4 Jun 96 11:29:28 PDT
 greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com wrote:

 > Jason Thorpe (.) sez:
 >
 > # ...Gee, a libscsi sure would be nice :-)
 >
 > Agreed.  It would be nice not to have to depart from NetBSD for the purposes
 > of formatting a disk, regardless of platform.

I really don't understand why folks thing formatting a disk is so
difficult...all you need to so is send the unit a FORMAT UNIT command
after setting the appropriate parameters with MODE SELECT.  A program
about as long as the sdremap program I just posted would be able to do it :-)

Of course, the harder part is having a nice, well-integrated utility to
do all of that for you.  That's why something like a libscsi would be
nice; you can implement all the meat, and then layer a nice interface to
the user on top of it.

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----