Subject: Re: SUP hiccups - how do these happen?
To: Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/1996 11:12:01
[ On Mon, June  3, 1996 at 22:11:31 (-0700), Jake Hamby wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: SUP hiccups - how do these happen?
>
> On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Greg Earle wrote:
>
> > The only difference between the PC and the Sun SUP-wise in "coll.list" is that
> > I have "... delete keep old" in the PC's version and just "... delete keep" in
> > the Sun's version.  Do I also then need to add "old" to the SPARCstation's
> > "coll.list" in order to prevent this from happening?  I guess I'll just do
> > that ...
> >
> > 	- Greg
>
> That's a likely possibility.  The "old" flag causes sup to replace
> files that have changed on the server, but have an older datestamp than
> the last time you supped.  I'm not quite sure how this could happen, but
> sup does seem to have synchronization problems with datestamps
> sometimes.  Perhaps you could have problems if you usually use one sup
> server, then switch to a different one, perhaps a sup server which is not
> getting the "delete" requests and has old files lying around (this would
> be a configuration error on the SUP server end).

I've had similar problems with options.h, et al in the vi tree with a
sup last done May 27.

I don't have the "keep" flag.  My invocation is exactly:

ttyp2:<woods@box1> $ cat /usr/sup/gocurrent
#! /bin/sh
:
#
#       run sup to become current again!
#
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
export PATH

cd /usr/sup
exec sup -s -v -z >> sup.out 2>&1

And /usr/lib/supfiles/coll.list contains (among other things):

current release=allsrc host=sup.NetBSD.org hostbase=/ftp/pub base=/usr prefix=/usr backup use-rel-suffix delete

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>