Subject: Re: tn3270 core dumps
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Craig Metz <cmetz@inner.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/1996 07:25:02
In message <9605302222.AA08609@cthulhu>, you write:
>>From: jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us (Webmaster Jim)
>>Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 10:26:41 -0400
>
>>$ gdb /usr/bin/tn3270 tn3270.core
>>
>>GDB 4.11 (i386-netbsd), Copyright 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
>>(no debugging symbols found)...
>>Core was generated by `tn3270'.
>>Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
>>#0  0x1008406e in ?? ()
>
>You'll have much better luck running gdb on a binary that hasn't
>been stripped, e.g.:
>
>$ gdb /usr/src/usr.bin/tn3270/obj/tn3270 tn3270.core
>
>(I'm not sure about the pathname, but you get the idea.)

	On a similar note, has anyone else had lots of trouble getting
a usable stack frame out of a kernel core dump? If I put a panic() right
in my code and trigger it, I can't get any stack trace via gdb -k
from what should otherwise be a clean dump (of course, some real dumps
come from situations where your stack's been obliterated and I would
expect no usable stack frame there, but a clean dump like a panic()
should give you a stack) [this is on i386 with the May 11 -current].

								-Craig