Subject: Re: ahc problems
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/1996 19:38:35
>>I can't help but wonder if this is somehow related to the "ultra" timing
>>changes Justin checked into the FreeBSD version of the driver after the
>>new NetBSD version was committed.
>
>I don't think so.  I had this problem way back to the first version
>that worked on my machine.
>
>I was told that the new driver has tighter timing requirements.  Well,
>if that's the case, they're too tight.  Using very expensive and very
>good cables (thank goodness for 30 day return policies) I still get
>this error with about the same frequency.

The new driver has higher throughput, so it may dig up termination
problems.

>Rebooting helps, hitting reset helps, powering down helps.  It seems
>to get confused just after or before probing my CDROM (nec 4xi or
>something)

Pick up the following files from FreeBSD-current and map them
to their NetBSD equivelents.  There have already been some bug
fixes since the last drop of the driver into NetBSD.

sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.seq
sys/i386/scsi/aic7xxx.c
sys/i386/scsi/aic7xxx.h
sys/pci/aic7870.c