Subject: Kernel config files, was Clean up DST and TIMEZONE
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/1996 21:06:47
On Thu, 30 May 1996, Mike Long wrote:

..
.. I have no objection to commenting out these options in the i386
.. GENERIC* configs, but I would object to taking them out completely.
.. If they are removed new users will be unable to learn that NetBSD can
.. cope with an RTC that is set to local time instead of GMT.

May I suggest to import a "feature" from FreeBSD: keep the kernel
configuration files that are actually used as small as possible by
eliminating all unused options. Then introduce a configuration that
contains all valid options and devices, preferrably with some more
documentary comments than now. FreeBSD calls this configuration LINT,
we could stick to the same name, or call it something like ALLOPTS.

Then users can browse this configuration to learn about new options to put
into their own configurations.

If this proposal is adopted, we also need to think about how to handle
options and devices that are only valid for a subset of the architectures.

regards
Erik Bertelsen