Subject: Re: Building May 25th tar balls on V1.1/i386 box
To: 'current-users@NetBSD.ORG' <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Burns, Scott <scott.burns@labatt.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/1996 11:09:11
Re: May 25th tar ball building on V1.1 i386 with no patches.

My poor old i386/33 with the NFS mounted V1.1B source has finally
completed it's compile of the entire tree. Thanks for everyone's
suggestions on how to setup my shell script to build this box and
reminding me to check my archives of current-users before posting ;-).

After building for the last time with the attached script I still have
the following few problems. There is also an apparent problem with
my message catalog which I think Mr. Conklin upgraded a few weeks ago.
According to the message posted back then since libc would be
dynamically referenced by most images it would get the new code and be
able to read the new catalog format automatically ? After my upgrade
for example, NFS mount commands complain about: "Message Catalog System:
corrupt file" or something like that when trying to report to me that
they can't mount the remote drives (see para. below re: this).

One other issue is that i386/V1.1 hosting my src1.1b structure on nfs
does
not want to mount up from my new V1.2 beta kernel i386 box. It complains
of a program version problem. Do I have to tell mount somehow that the
server machine I am trying to mount against is still NFS V2 ? I did not
see such an option in the man pages for mount_nfs.

And now the build problems.

===> sh
cc  -static -o sh arith.o arith_lex.o init.o alias.o builtins.o cd.o
echo.o errp
arith_lex.o: Undefined symbol `_yylval' referenced from text segment
arith_lex.o: Undefined symbol `_arith_startbuf' referenced from text
segment
arith_lex.o: Undefined symbol `_arith_buf' referenced from text segment
arith_lex.o: Undefined symbol `_arith_buf' referenced from text segment
builtins.o: Undefined symbol `_expcmd' referenced from text segment
expand.o: Undefined symbol `_arith' referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
===> badsect

The Bourne shell will not compile for the above reasons.

===> fsck_ffs/SMM.doc
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444  Makefile 0.t 1.t 2.t 3.t 4.t
/usr/share/doc/ss
usage: install [-cs] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1
file2
       install [-cs] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1
... fileNy
       install  -d   [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

New SMM doc's for ffs I guess ?

===> vi/build
install -c -s -o bin -g bin -m 555  vi /usr/bin
(cd /usr/src/usr.bin/vi/build/../catalog && install -m 444 -c dutch
english ger)
usage: install [-cs] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1
file2
       install [-cs] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1
... fileNy
       install  -d   [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
===> ac

I think I remember reading about a new version of nvi being merged a few
weeks ago.

-
===> rpc.bootparamd
cc -O -DYP  -Werror  -c bootparamd.c
In file included from bootparamd.c:17:
/usr/include/rpcsvc/bootparam_prot.h:16: nfs/nfsv2.h: No such file or
directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
===> atrun

Probably something to do with the NFS V3 code being merged in.

===> man/man4/man4.arm32
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444 intro.cat4
/usr/share/man/cat4/arm32/intro.0
install: /usr/share/man/cat4/arm32/intro.0: Message Catalog System:
corrupt fil.
No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

A new platform I think.

The script I have been using.

#
# i386_v1_1_v1_1b.sh - Upgrade a V1.1 i386 machine to V1.1b (May 25th
tars)
#
# Version: May 29, 1996
#
# Thought I would return the favour (favor in the US) for people trying
# upgrade a straight V1.1 (i386) machine to V1.1B (current) machine in
# prep. for the V1.2 release. Someone gave me this file when I was
trying to
# upgrade from V1.0 to the -current of the time. So please e-mail me any
# oddities you run into and I will keep reposting this until V1.2 is
out.
#
# This procedure has been used to upgrade a raw V1.1 i386 machine,
# without any patches, to a V1.1B machine as of the May 25th tar
# files. Earlier, trying with the V1.1B tar files of May 18th,
# and without any sound boards in the config file, it died on
# an error where pss.c (pss.o) was referring to symbols for a
# particular sound chip even though I had no sound boards in my
# config. This was during the link of the kernel. The compile worked
# fine. I added sound boards to the config file and the kernel
# built fine. If someone knows why this is please e-mail me.
#
# Re: the above paragraph.
#
# It may have been a problem with my config file of the time as I had
# not yet setup the mainbus stuff properly (thanks Mike Long). I will
# be trying this on another virgin V1.1/i386 box with no sound boards
# in the config file sometime in the near future which should prove
this.
#
# Use at your own risk...
#
# Scott.Burns@Labatt.Com
# Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com
#
#
# Make the new config program
(cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config ; make && make install && make cleandir)
# Rebuild the asm'blr
(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas ; make && make install && make cleandir)
# BSD Makes
(cd /usr/src/share/mk ; make install)
#
# Rebuild yacc first or the yacc from v1.1 dies on Error Code 1 when
# it hits %expect 34 in /usr/src/gnu/gcc/common/c-parse.y. The
# new yacc included with V1.1B handles it so build and install it
# before it gets used in the gcc building.
#
(cd /usr/src/usr.bin/yacc; make && make install && make cleandir)
#
# Rebuild tsort first of the tsort from v1.1 dies on Error Code 1 when
# it hits a Make in the gcc build that uses a new "q" option. The
# new tsort included with V1.1B handles it so build and install it
# before it gets used in the gcc building.
#
(cd /usr/src/usr.bin/tsort; make && make install && make cleandir)
#
# gcc directory was gcc2 ununder v1.1, now it's just gcc. We make
# it twice here as the libgcc needs the new compiler to make it and
# it will fail on the first gcc make.
#
(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc ; make && make install )
(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc ; make && make install && make cleandir)
#
# Install the new include files as the userland makes require them
#
(cd /usr/src/include ; make includes)
(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld ; make && make install && make cleandir)
(cd /usr/src/lib ; make && make install && make cleandir)

(cd /usr/src/bin ; make && make install && make cleandir)
(cd /usr/src/sbin ; make && make install && make cleandir)
#
# This mkdir was for a bug when going from V1.0 to V1.1, it is probably
# fixed with production V1.1
#
mkdir /usr/share/doc/usd/13.viref
#
# Make the rest...
#
(cd /usr/src/usr.bin ; make && make install && make cleandir)
(cd /usr/src/usr.sbin ; make && make install && make cleandir)
(cd /usr/src/libexec ; make && make install && make cleandir)
(cd /usr/src/gnu ; make && make install && make cleandir)
(cd /usr/src/share ; make && make install && make cleandir)
#
# Build the kernel now that Userland is up to date
#
(cd /sys/arch/i386/conf ; config NCTI20)
(cd /sys/arch/i386/compile/NCTI20 ; make depend && make)
#
# Move the kernel to the root now and boot off it.
#
#
# If you have the time for games ;-)
#
# (cd /usr/src/games ; make && make install && make cleandir)