Subject: Re: wd.c driver, VESA support
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/1996 15:51:27
"Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com> wrote:
> Windows NT 4.0 has an EIDE driver that actually looks like a SCSI
> device to the system.  I think that's an intriguing and promising
> direction to pursue.

AmigaOS has had that for years. In the Amiga 4000, there is a device
called "scsi.device", however it controls the IDE bus. It even does
attempt to implement user-level SCSI commands sent to it through the
interface defined for that. This trick was apparently chosen for
compatibility with programs that (wrongly) assume a disk should be
accessed through scsi.device, as was the case on the Amiga 3000.

A difference with Unix however is that AmigaOS disk drivers probably
define a higher-level interface, sort-of comparable with character
special devices (but different :).

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert      D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96
\X/ Ceci n'est pas un Magritte          rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl