Subject: Re: DESTDIR vs. beforeinstall - Battle of the Titans
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/1996 07:26:08
On Tue, 28 May 1996, Mike Long wrote:

.. I don't see how that's relevant.  I don't think it's a good idea for
.. src/include/Makefile to remove anything in /usr/include anyway; what
.. if a system administrator installs optional packages under /usr
.. instead of /usr/local?
I mostly agree.

.. src/include/Makefile should use 'cmp' to check headers before
.. installing them, because needlessly installing headers is an expensive

I seem to recall that one of the Unix'es for PC's have an option on
their install command (-C ?) that causes install itself to try to
determine whether or not to actually install the requested file based
on some heuristic for determining equality. Is this the way to go ??
at least it will not bloat each and every makefile.

regards
Erik Bertelsen