Subject: Re: PPP again
To: <>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1996 23:02:20
>>> If so, then you can use the "persist" option to not have
>>> pppd exit if the connect script fails, and also if the connection drops.
>>
>>Hmm.  It _does_ exit, even though I'm using "persist".  I'll recheck this
>>(maybe I don't have the "persist" option on the pppd command line now).
>>Hm, I do have it.  And it still exits; I have a script which restarts pppd
>>when this happens.  Weird.
>
>Okay, the probable difference between our two setups is that I'm using
>demand-dial.  I really could have sworn, however, that persist redialed
>if the chat script failed no matter what.  I'll check this again when I
>get home.

Ok, I checked this.  I turned off demand-dial, and started pppd up with
"persist", "holdoff 300", and a chat script that would fail.  The chat
script dialed up, it failed, and pppd did the right thing - ie, it waited
the holdoff time, and then retried without exiting.

Jukka, I think that there is something wrong with your setup.  If you'd
like to look at my config files, please let me know.

--Ken