Subject: Re: PPP again
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1996 17:49:39
>> If so, then you can use the "persist" option to not have
>> pppd exit if the connect script fails, and also if the connection drops.
>
>Hmm.  It _does_ exit, even though I'm using "persist".  I'll recheck this
>(maybe I don't have the "persist" option on the pppd command line now).
>Hm, I do have it.  And it still exits; I have a script which restarts pppd
>when this happens.  Weird.

Okay, the probable difference between our two setups is that I'm using
demand-dial.  I really could have sworn, however, that persist redialed
if the chat script failed no matter what.  I'll check this again when I
get home.

>Does the priority stuff work in PPP?  My interactive connections feel very
>sluggish with an ftp transfer in the background.

I think you would need both sides to implement it, especially the remote
site if you're doing a lot of ftping to your machine.

I have pretty good success with setting the mtu/mru down low (296) --
interactive traffic is still reasonable while ftping.

--Ken