Subject: Re: PPP again
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1996 23:04:29
> >It seems that pppd will _always_ exit if the connect program fails, so
> >it is necessary to write a script which restarts pppd if it dies.
>
> Since this _is_ on current-users, I assume you're running -current.
> Correct?

Yup.

> If so, then you can use the "persist" option to not have
> pppd exit if the connect script fails, and also if the connection drops.

Hmm.  It _does_ exit, even though I'm using "persist".  I'll recheck this
(maybe I don't have the "persist" option on the pppd command line now).
Hm, I do have it.  And it still exits; I have a script which restarts pppd
when this happens.  Weird.

> No need to wrap it in a script.  If you want a delaying time between
> retries, check out the "holdoff" option.

Yup, I saw that on the man page.

> I got bit by this as well.  I suspect that this behavior is because pppd
> can be used for dial-ins, and it automatically figures out what tty
> you're on so it can just use options for each tty.  But I'm not so crazy
> about this feature as it's implemented -- I wish the device name would
> override this.

I thought it would - especially as it worked with the older pppd somehow.

> You can, however, specify all your options in a file, and use the "file"
> argument to read in those files.  For example, my pppd startup looks
> like:
>
> /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.nrl
>
> And that avoids the huge monster command line that I used to have :-)

Yes, I'll convert my 155-char command line into a file, too :-)

Does the priority stuff work in PPP?  My interactive connections feel very
sluggish with an ftp transfer in the background.

Again, thanks for the hints, everybody.

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---