Subject: More PPP questions
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bruce Albrecht <Bruce.Albrecht@seag.fingerhut.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1996 16:04:02
I've upgraded(?) from NetBSD-1.1 to NetBSD-1.2 alpha, running on an
Amiga A3000 with 12 MB fast RAM, A2024 monitor, using the built-in
serial port and a USR sportster 33K modem.  When I switched from
NetBSD-1.1 to NetBSD1.2, my PPP performance was seriously degraded.
I'm now losing packets (ping shows 5%-25% losses), rlogin sessions
lock up for minutes at a time, I get VJERRS every couple of seconds
and silo overflows every couple minutes.

My NetBSD-1.1 kernel had the lev6-defer and increased buffer (16K).
My NetBSD-1.2 kernel has these and the two PPP options for VJ compression
and deflate (I'd give the exact info, but I'm not at that machine).

Was my 1.1 kernel really supporting VJ compression?  Does VJ
compression require more bandwidth than my 25 MHz 68030 can provide?
What sorts of things should I do to troubleshoot this?  My PPP
performance on NetBSD-1.2 is so bad, it's unusable.