Subject: Re: who is pinging me?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/1996 07:02:41
> Rebuild your kernel and turn on the BPF stuff.
> The Berkeley Packet filter is cool (and you need it if you want to
> handle RARP and do diskless booting, not to mention tcpdump).
> tcpdump is even cooler.

Except tcpdump has this extremely annoying habit of printing the
link-level header only sometimes when -x is used.  This is annoying
largely because it breaks my packet-unpacking program, which can be
told whether the packets have their ethernet headers, but can't handle
tcpdump's tendency to print the ethernet header on arp and rarp and
such but to skip that for IP packets.

Someday I suppose this will annoy me enough for me to generate a PR for
it...with luck, I'll even be able to include a fix :-).

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu