Subject: Re: Who is pinging me?
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@muikku.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 05/22/1996 08:53:59
> I've heard other noises about our all-in-the-kernel vs. a userland
> PPP lately (to do with packet filtering and demand dialing, I
> believe), and why a userland PPP would be nice. However, before
> anyone gets any ideas :-) I'd like to point out that this will blow
> up on slower machines. My Sun 3/60, for example, uses a good chuck
> of its CPU (a 20 MHz 68020) dealing with PPP when data is coming
> in full speed at 38,400 bps. Having to cross the kernel/user barrier
> for each packet as well might well kill it.
>
> Aside from the fact that some of us just like our Sun 3s and don't
> want to upgrade

Well, there are people running NetBSD on other 68k CPU's, too.  Amiga
3000 is a 25 MHz 68030 - not that much faster than a 3/60.

> You can get away
> with a lot of sloppiness on a Pentium and never notice it, but on
> a Sun 3 you notice.

Well, there are 6 PPP's running on my pentium and I don't want any
unnecessary load on that machine, either.  The number of PPP's will
increase to 8 or more sometime soon.. keep it as optimized as
possible, please ;-)

  -jm