Subject: Re: Multi Processor Support?
To: John C. Hayward <johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/1996 19:19:11
>    Is there work on multi-processor support.  I am thinking about upgrading
> my motherboard and wondered if I should invest in a dual processor
> motherboard or not.  While this is a i386 particular question I wonder about
> support for other ports as well (like Alpha).

Well, for the Alpha...

MP support won't happen until somebody with hardware and docs sits
down and writes it...  I dunno how hard docs would be to get, but
Alpha MP systems ... tend to be out of the range of what 'mere
mortals' can afford, and finding somebody to give or borrow a MP Alpha
to help development would be ... rather difficult, i'd guess.

There'd be a lot of code that'd need substantial whacking to work on
an MP system, including locore and the pmap code.  (the latter needs
to be rewritten, anyway, but...)

cgd