Subject: Re: Lingering ahe0 reference in GENERIC/GENERICADP/INSTADP
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/1996 11:58:16
>> Just fixed it.  The new entry for the EISA/VL cards should be:
>>
>> ahc* at eisa? slot ?
>
>What do people with the VL cards do, if their system doesn't support
>EISA?  (I'd guess, but am not sure, that such systems exist...)
>
>on non-EISA systems, 'eisa' devices will never be attached...
>

>cgd

In FreeBSD, if the EISA bus is configured into your kernel, slot
space is always probed.  The short answer for why this was done
was to allow the 2842 to use the EISA probe code instead of basically
having to duplicate it into its own probe (the slot space is
going to get probed anyway).  Before you fill my mail box with messages
about how much of a hack this is, please read the discussion Terry L.
and I had on this issue in the FreeBSD-current mailing list.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations