Subject: Packet-mode driver for Metricom Ricochet radios added
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/19/1996 15:04:27
Today, I committed a pseudo-device driver that  supports running
Metricom's Ricochet radio "modem"s as peer-to-peer, packet-mode
devices. Ricochets connect to a host computer via an RS-232 line
running at up to 114.2 kbits/sec.  (The Metriocm radios
are described at http://www.metricom.com,  and the MosquitoNet
project and the STRIP driver are described at
http://mosquitonet.stanford.edu/).

This NetBSD STRIP driver is interoperable with the Linux STRIP encapsulation,
which may or may not be included in Linux 2.0, and should also be
interoperable with the AppleTalk strip encapsulation, as and when
that becomes publically available.

This change adds
	* a new pseudo-device driver, called "strip".
	* driver source in net/if_strip.c.
	* A new tty discipline type to sys/ttycom.h.
	* Initialization code for the strip line discipline.
	* An new "-t strip"  option to /sbin/slattach, via
	  which  the strip driver can be started on a serial line.

It's been suggested that a separate stattach  command might be
easier for users.   The MosquitoNet project, in contrast, is
using a modified slattach everywhere.  I'm open to feedback on this,
especially if the  lack of an stattach is seen as a bug.

A section 4 manpage should be forthcoming, as well as for the attach
command, whatever it ends up being.

--Jonathan Stone
 Stanford Distributed Systems Group