Subject: Re: misc/2409: /etc/daily problem with MAILTO
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/1996 17:30:50
On Fri, 17 May 1996, Allen Briggs wrote:

.. > To adhere to "the principle of least astonishment" I still recommend to
.. > have all root's cron generated output end up the same place by default.
..
.. Actually, by default, cron output is mailed to the owner of the cron
.. job--root in this case.
..
When mentioning the "principle of least astonishment" I am thinking of the
fact that setting MAILTO in root's crontab will cause all cron generated
output for root to be mailed to somebody else, EXCEPT for the output from
/etc/security. To me this is inconsistent, and that was the reason for my
PR.

best regards
Erik Bertelsen