Subject: Re: bin/1715 (login(1) should be statically linked)
To: After 5 PM please slip brain through slot in door. <greywolf@defender.vas.viewlogic.com>
From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zappa.unna.ping.de>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/1996 13:02:00
In message <9605151739.AA10303@>you write:
> It would be even nicer if init would realise that something was wrong
> somehow (catch the status from getty or something) and drop you into single-

I'd vote for "or something".

> Perhaps if getty/login dump core, have init treat the console as insecure
> and prompt for a password.

I have getty dump core quite often on my dial-in-server, and I dont want my
dial-in server go into single-user.  In my case, getty likes to dump core on
serial lines for the first time after system boot if the attached modems with
hardwar-flowcontrol do not work as advertised.  I did not look into this
problem because my system stays up > 200 serial logins, so this is under 1%
lossage...

> I don't know -- it's probably a can of worms, here.

And you just couldn't resist ;-)

> But there must be something we can do about this.

Aside from not hosing shared libs or restricting the
single-user-on-core-dump-from-getty-or-login to the console-port (probably
only the first when using multiple consoles), I can't see a solution.

Gruesse
       Oskar

 					Tragbar ist, was nicht herunterfaellt.
						    oskar@zappa.unna.ping.de