Subject: Re: bin/1715 (login(1) should be statically linked)
To: None <gwr@mc.com>
From: After 5 PM please slip brain through slot in door. <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/15/1996 10:39:52
#   From: "Gordon W. Ross" <gwr@mc.com>
#
#   Yes.  I get this with a (VM? pmap?) bug I've been trying to kill.  The
#   machine makes it to multi-user, and then getty and/or login just dumps
#   core, leading init to say "spawning to rapidly..."  I have to use ddb to
#   send signal 15 to init to gracefully drop down to single-user mode.
#
#   It might be nice if getty and login were static, so at least root could
#   login when the shared libraries are not working...
#
#   Gordon

It would be even nicer if init would realise that something was wrong
somehow (catch the status from getty or something) and drop you into single-
user mode anyway.  Yeah, it's probably a security hole, but if shlibs are
hosed, there's not much you can do anyway.  If it's on the way up, rc will
fail and it should drop you back into single-user mode anyway.  If they
got hosed, a getty that dumps core should produce the same result.

I might note that it's not normally easy to get getty to dump core on its
own -- something has to be seriously wrong in order for that to happen.
I don't think SIGQUIT has any effect, and that's the only core-dumping
signal a mortal user can send.  Haven't looked at login yet...

Perhaps if getty/login dump core, have init treat the console as insecure
and prompt for a password.

I don't know -- it's probably a can of worms, here.  But there must be
something we can do about this.

				--*greywolf;
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards
 -- it makes them soggy and hard to light." -- unknown