Subject: bin/1715 (login(1) should be statically linked)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Open Carefully -- Contents Under Pressure <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/14/1996 15:47:12
I'm just kind of cruising through old PRs which look like I can help, so
I might be asking some interesting questions from time to time.

Like now.

1.  Curiously, why did login move from /bin (4.(1 <= x <= 3) to
    /usr/bin (4.4)?

2.  Is there a reason login is not compiled statically?

3.  ...or is this really a non-problem which should be closed and forgotten
    about?

My first thought was that if your shared libs are losing on login,
there's a good chance they're losing on something else as well and
theoretically your machine should never make it to multi-user mode, but
that only occurs if the shared libs disappear BEFORE you've gone
multi-user -- if you lose your shared libs DURING multi- user mode,
then, yes, you have a problem in that there is now no way to log in to
attempt to fix things, even at the console.

Seeing that, though 'rsh' and 'ftp' are dynamically linked and would fail,
you _could_ log into the console and use 'restore' or 'tar' to re-extract
the necessary shared libs to get your system going again (they're both
statically linked).

So, #1 can be ignored; #2 should be answered, and #3's answer is
"This is a real problem".

Sorry to think out loud, but I want my logic jumps visible in case I
forgot anything.

Comments welcome.

				--*greywolf;

				--*greywolf;
--
People who cannot be persuaded to use turn signals or ashtrays while driving
should not be permitted to drive.