Subject: Hey this seems to work (was Re: Java compiler)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/10/1996 23:43:38
[Binary emulation is way cool]

[snip]

bachesta@tera.com suggested:

>Installation
>------------
>1. Grab ftp.javasoft.com:JDK-1_0-solaris2-sparc.tar.Z.
>2. Grab freefall.FreeBSD.org:/pub/FreeBSD/LOCAL_PORTS/jdk10.tar.gz.
>3. Untar the solaris binary distribution.
>4. Move aside bin/ and untar the FreeBSD distribution.
>5. Install the pdksh port.

[snip]

Thanks to everyone who replied to my Java compiler question.  The
above binaries, at least as a compiler, appears to function ok in
FreeBSD binary emulation mode on NetBSD/i386.  I compiled several
applets and all seemed to work.  Follow the instructions above, and do
the following:

a) Merge lib/ with the lib contents in the jdk10.tar.gz archive.

b) Bash [just in case one does not want to install yet-another-shell]
seems to work instead of pdksh, with a minor mod to one shell script
[change a 'whence' to a 'which'].

c) Retreive the FreeBSD shared libraries from your favorite ftp site
and install them in /emul/freebsd/usr/lib.  Put the FreeBSD ld.so in
/emul/freebsd/usr/libexec.  I used the binary distributation of
FreeBSD 2.0.1.  One may also want to get the FreeBSD 'ldd' command to
help figure out library problems.

d) For whatever reason, the main java binary wants libc.so.3.0 which
2.0.1 does not seem to have.  I simply lied to ld.so and made a
symlink to the libc.so that I did have.  It didn't seem to matter.

e) One may have to add /emul/freebsd/usr/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Doing things on the cheap,

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org