Subject: README: changes to network subsystem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1996 19:35:21
I've just made some simple, though extensive changes to the network
subsystem.  This affects every network driver in the tree.  I've made an
attempt to update all of them, but it's possible that I may have goofed.
If you have any problems with the network subsystem compiling or
functioning properly after your next source update, please let me know ASAP!

Anyway, here are the entries from CHANGES:

        changed struct ifnet to have a pointer to the softc of the
                underlying device and a printable "external name"
                (name + unit number), thus eliminating if_name and if_unit.
                Updated interface to (*if_watchdog)() and (*if_reset)()
                to take a struct ifnet *, rather than a unit number.
                [thorpej 960506]
        LANCE: made the MI LANCE driver standalone, using cfattach to
                resolve naming conflicts on ports which can have more
                than one instance of the LANCE.  [thorpej 960506]

BTW, you'll want to make sure to update your netstat(1) program.  If you
encounter other user-land programs that need updating, please let me know
ASAP!

BTW, it wouldn't hurt to file any of these problems in the bugs database
with send-pr(1), if you encounter them...

Thanks!

Jason R. Thorpe
NetBSD Core Group
<thorpej@NetBSD.ORG>