Subject: Re: modem recommandation and software
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/1996 18:24:07
: Couriers are supposed to be very good modems.  This does not apply in
: any way, though, to Sportsters, which are close to junk, IMHO.

Sportsters have been very good for us in the village, both the 14.4
and 28.8 (later upgraded to 33.6) versions.  However, we have good,
clean lines (and know how to keep the local phone company keeping that
way).  And we did have to upgrade the ROMs once to fix the spiral
death problems of early versions.  Don't use them for dirty lines, as
they are merely adequate in that configuration.

I have heard good reports for these modems on clean or nearly clean
lines.  The Couriers are *MUCH* better over noisy lines or long
distance calls.

Also, one of the villagers swears by the pair of Supras that he's
using.

Your milage may vary...

Warner

P.S.  The village is a small cooperative ISP that uses the modems
24x7x52.