Subject: Re: modem recommandation and software
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Jason Downs <downsj@teeny.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/1996 16:23:33
In message <199605031756.KAA22487@MindBender.HeadCandy.com>,
	"Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" writes:

>>> I am going to buy a 2.88k modem for my netbsd-current. Any
>>> recommandataion of modem and the software ? please advise.
>
>>I'm speaking under heavy markerting hype here, so don't flame - but
>>I've 'heard' the US Robotics Courier's uses more bits for error correction
>>than the Rockwell chipset based modems. I dunno the AT&T chipset based modems
>

>Couriers are supposed to be very good modems.  This does not apply in
>any way, though, to Sportsters, which are close to junk, IMHO.  This
>is why Couriers cost a bit more than Sporsters.  Another somewhat
>expensive but very good brand are Zyxel modems, though they can be
>rather hard to find.
>
>There are lots of "OK" inexpensive modems out there: Hayes Accura,
>Practical Peripherals, US Robotics Sportsters (if you get a good one),
>etc.

I've always had good experiences with AT&T Dataport modems, as well.  My
link runs over them.

They're another cheaper, very non-Rockwell modem.

If you don't like Rockwell, buy AT&T.  Rockwell hates AT&T's guts...
(Who _does_ like Rockwell modems?)

--
Jason Downs		   (503) 256-8535 -/- (503) 952-3749
downsj@teeny.org  --> teeny.org: Free Software for a Free Internet <--