Subject: Re: modem recommandation and software
To: Ernst du Toit <et@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/1996 10:56:05
>> I am going to buy a 2.88k modem for my netbsd-current. Any
>> recommandataion of modem and the software ? please advise.

>I'm speaking under heavy markerting hype here, so don't flame - but
>I've 'heard' the US Robotics Courier's uses more bits for error correction
>than the Rockwell chipset based modems. I dunno the AT&T chipset based modems

Couriers are supposed to be very good modems.  This does not apply in
any way, though, to Sportsters, which are close to junk, IMHO.  This
is why Couriers cost a bit more than Sporsters.  Another somewhat
expensive but very good brand are Zyxel modems, though they can be
rather hard to find.

There are lots of "OK" inexpensive modems out there: Hayes Accura,
Practical Peripherals, US Robotics Sportsters (if you get a good one),
etc.

Your best bet would be to surf Computer Shopper and look for a recent
modem review: http://www.zdnet.com/cshopper/.

               Sun4/4c/4m, DEC MIPS, DEC Alpha, PC532, VAX...