Subject: Re: modem recommandation and software
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ernst du Toit <et@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/1996 08:24:51

> Hello,
>
> I am going to buy a 2.88k modem for my netbsd-current. Any
> recommandataion of modem and the software ? please advise.
>
> cheers.
>
> clarence
> clarence@cs.cuhk.hk

I'm speaking under heavy markerting hype here, so don't flame - but
I've 'heard' the US Robotics Courier's uses more bits for error correction
than the Rockwell chipset based modems. I dunno the AT&T chipset based modems
though. In any rate the extra money in buying an external modem will be
worth it the first time to have to debug a modem problem :-)

The 'extra error correction'  might not be a factor where the lines are good -
but out here in Africa I've seen connects with a USR that other modems refused
to do. One adventure was trying to grab a BIOS update from Taiwan on a BBS
there, 10 mins with a Courier and we had it - the VAR over here tried the
whole day with his modem. Ok, so maybe we got lucky with the PSTN being a
lucky-draw like it is, but still 10mins impressed me enough to buy one.

Currently a friend of mine is pushing a 28k8 link through a PCM
channel on a analog leased line that the TELCO only cerifies for 9600 use.
Rockwell modems didn't to that - 21kx - 24kx were the best they could
manage.

My own dialup link is sitting on a mux from home since there is a shortage
of copper in my area and my Courier punches through the restriced bandwidth
- sometimes the link time gets long as the modems negotiate, but I always get
my connection at max speed.

Have to admit though the Rockwell based modems are darn side cheaper :-)

Just my 0.02 gleamed from many hours of frustration...

et