Subject: MKDEP defines in bsd.dep.mk
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/1996 15:48:47
I'm working on cross-compilation environments for NetBSD, and I've
just noticed that there doesn't seem to be a ${MKDEP} define for
the mkdep program in /usr/share/mk/sys.mk the way that we have a
${CC} define for CC and all the rest.

(This came up because my compile platform is 1.0-i386, but I can't
use the 1.0 /usr/share/mk/bsd.dep.mk or /usr/bin/mkdep because
they're broken for compiling into a separate object tree.)

My first thought was just to add

    MKDEP?=	mkdep
    MKDEPFLAGS?=

to sys.mk and replace the calls to mkdep with the variable in
bsd.dep.mk, but I notice that someone has already set up the lines
that run mkdep with ${MKDEP} presumably holding extra arguments:

    mkdep -a ${MKDEP} ${CFLAGS:M-[ID]*} ${CPPFLAGS} ${AINC} $$file

${MKDEP} is not currently defined in any of the files in /usr/share/mk.

My proposal is to change the appropriate lines in bsd.dep.mk to read:

    ${MKDEP} -a ${MKDEPFLAGS} ...

and add the first set of lines above to sys.mk. Does anyone have
any comments on this before I submit a PR?

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.