Subject: NFS lossage from NetBSD to SunOS
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@sci.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/1996 11:55:43
 I have a SunOS 4.1.3_U1 box running diskless and mounting filesystems
from a NetBSD/mac68k box (-current from several weeks ago but this
problem isn't new).

 Executables seem to be getting randomly corrupted on the SunOS box, which
causes them to either crash in odd places or to do weird things. Once it
has occurred, the crash or the problem always appears at the same place, so
it doesn't vary randomly. An interesting example of this is that I was
compiling something with g++, when suddenly instead of ".align" it started
outputting ".a'ign".

 Large executables seem more prone to corruption than small ones. Most
cases have occurred with executables >1mb. I've never seen anything else
than an executable (and once a shared library) become corrupted.

 Sometimes rebooting the SunOS box fixes things (as with the g++ case
mentioned above), but sometimes reinstalling the executable is required.
Occasionally the problem even disappears after a few minutes.

 The problem commonly appears after heavy nfs traffic. I can't think of
another likely culprit for this kind of corruption (consistently at the
same place).

--
'Good-bye and hello, as always'