Subject: Re: why a double login??
To: None <noud@knot.nl>
From: None <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/1996 09:50:14
AHA!  All UPPER CASE LOGINS!  I remember *THIS* problem from the old 4.2
days at the local community college (VAX 11/750 running 4.[123] BSD).

I'll bet you get things like:

NetBSD/xxxx 1.1 (pop) (console)

login: FOOBAR
\PASSWORD:

Traditionally, if the entire login was UPPERCASE, getty would think that
you were on a funny kind of terminal only capable of typing uppercase
characters, such as a real old TTY, or a TI silentwriter or something,
and it would switch your tty mode to (sg.sg_flags | O_LCASE) (or something,
I haven't hacked a tty-switcher in a while).

If you're getting lowercase responses, then only half the problem has been
fixed.

Another fix would be to not use ALL uppercase logins; i.e. maybe capitalize
them if necessary?  (This would be The Right Way, actually.)

Numbers in the login won't help, BTW.

				--*greywolf;
--
"Well, it's _two_ drummers, and we're not marching,   *. .* *. .*  *. .*
we're dancing, but that's the general idea, yes."       v     v      v