Subject: Re: HSFS vs. ISO9660 (was: "Re: CD Writer Software")
To: None <blymn@awadi.com.au, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/1996 14:50:35
> In a vain attempt to keep this remotely NetBSD related, it would be
> Really kUUl if our driver supported these file types.  It might even get us
> some "ins" at NASA sites that are sick of kludging around the SunOS
> inability to read NASA CD-ROMs  :-)
>
> (A cursory glance at cd9660_lookup.c and cd9660_vnops.c seems to indicate
>  that the ASSOCIATED types are supported, at least ... bravo)

Our 9660 filesystem only handles the DIRECTORY and the ASSOCIATED bits.
All other bits are ignored. So there shouldn't be a problem when accessing
files with any of these bits set. Of course you loose information about those
files, but at least the RECORD and PROTECTION bits are only hints about
information in the extended attribute, so you get part of the information back
if you use the -e option on the mount to actually use information in there.

BTW, files with the assoc bit set get a leading "=" in their name.
This is similar to the way some other implementation translates resource forks
when accessing apple filesystems, at least it's what I got told when I
implemented it (if I remember correctly, it was A/UX).
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800