Subject: Re: network logins slow with tcsh?
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/23/1996 14:10:05
: Just to be sure... you did the nslookup on the server machine?
: I hope I don't insult you, by asking...  I still think rev DNS
: is your problem as telnet works fast.  rlogind authenticates via
: rev DNS lookup among other things, telnet doesn't.

I've also seen servers hang like this when trying to get username
stuff out of NIS, or netgroup info from the netgroup maps.  More
rarely I've seen NFS problems cause this sort of thing, but it is
usually with both telnet and rlogin.  I've also seen long delays when
a daemon is swapped into a memory starved system.  If the telnet
daemon was already running, you'd share text with it, which might make
it a little faster.  These last couple are reaching for it however.

Warner