Subject: Re: /usr/share NOT?
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: Nathan J Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/1996 12:51:13
	   I have four NetBSD machines... Amiga, Sun3, Sun4 (using the
   god-given correct byte order :) and i386 (using the evil byte order).
   Anyways, I have noticed that the i386 (the only one of the three to be
   starving for disk) cannot share /usr/share with the others.
	   I've noticed in particular that the fortune database and the
   localization (or wherever the clib error messages come from) database
   are non-shareable.

	I noticed this just last week with NLS when mounting /usr/share on my
sun3 from my i386 box; it's reported as lib/2334 in the bug database.

	   Which brings me to my last point.  vi will not run without
   /usr/share.  This is a downright pain in the ass if /usr/share is
   nfs.  It would be an improvement if vi would kick itself into 'open
   mode' when it couldn't divine the terminal properly.

	Really? Which byte-order-dependant file does vi depend on? vi
on the sun3 works just fine with the i386 /usr/share.

	- Nathan	<nathanw@mit.edu>