Subject: Re: pcvt and TIOCCONS
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Arne H. Juul <arnej@pvv.unit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1996 15:07:49
 > For instance, right now we have "login" and "logout."  Say somebody
 > wants to add "logincheck" to do what I suggested in a previous mail
 > message.  With a multiple-file scheme, they now have to manage three
 > files which talk about actions that happen at login and login out a
 > given tty (not including /etc/ttys).  I'd much rather have one file
 > eith entries like:
 >
 > tty0	logincheck	/somewhere/check_frob ${TTY}
 > tty0	login		/somewhere/login_frob ${TTY}
 > tty0	logout		/somewhere/logout_frob ${TTY}
 >
 > or even better (with the very simple action wildcarding i proposed
 > earlier):
 >
 > tty0	*		/somewhere/${ACTION}_frob ${TTY}

If we `right now' have "login" and "logout", and you have the
configuration line above, you're in for a nasty surprise when
"logincheck" is added.  If the format is extensible to allow
more actions as needs arise, wildcarding can be dangerous.

That isn't to say that I'm all against it, though.  One can
always do:

*	*	/somewhere/ttyfrob ${ACTION} ${TTY}

and do a "case $1" statement in "ttyfrob", with default ignore.
We should think carefully about the ramifications here, though.

  -  Arne H. J.