Subject: Re: Config File / Kernel Building
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1996 11:18:23
>>> I'm trying to setup swapping on my second drive.  I was told I have
>>> to change: 'config netbsd swap generic' to
>>> 'config      netbsd  root on sd0 swap on sd0 and sd1 and sd2'
>> Annoying, eh?
> Can anyone give me a REAL good reason why Unix users have to put up
> with this crap?

Ummm...because the mailing list is unmoderated?

> Why can't NetBSD do the following:

> - Once booted off xxxa where xxx is some disk, if xxxb exists, make
>   that the initial swap space (with appropriate behavior if booting
>   miniroot).
> - Once the user says "swapon xxyz", just do it!

Um, because nobody's implemented it yet?

> I see no reason for the behavior of a user-initiated "swapon" to
> depend on what was configured.

Because it's easier to code the kernel the current way, probably, and
nobody's invested the effort to change it.

I agree, it would be better if the kernel had no hardwired idea of
where swap could be.  So far, it hasn't bothered me enough to make me
sit down and figure out how to fix it.  It sounds as though it bothers
you quite a lot; why don't you fix it?

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu