Subject: Re: CD Writer Software
To: None <laine@morningstar.com>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1996 07:39:50
> Is there any CD writing software that runs on NetBSD? We are looking
> around at CD Writers, but most of them only have software that runs on
> Win95. Also, a couple of the places apparently said that this software
> produces CDs that "aren't readable by Unix systems" (of course, they've
> probably never even seen a Unix system, probably think its one that uses
> bushings instead of bearings...).

There is two parts to this. One if the software to create ISO9660 format
file systems, which can then be put onto anything. I tried this with a
floppy and SunOS mounted it fine as an hsfs filesystem. This sort of
software on unix like systems goes under the name of (or used to) of mkisofs.
Find it in your nearest Linux archive. It is very like tar in operation.

The second level of software is that used to actually copy the image to
a CD-ROM drive. On a machie with a quiet SCSI bus and not much happeneing,
with an older drive, you may find dd actually works. Not tried it. On newer
drives with larger write buffers and restartable sessions etc dd should
work (at least once). When you start getting complicated like mutil sessions
and restartable sessions then I guess you need something a little more
complex.

I am pretty sure a couple of people on this list have direct experience here.
Whatdo you guys say ?

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org