Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/17/1996 01:31:08
Chris Demetriou writes:

> Please don't reply to the 'source' list...  The correct forum is
> current-users.

That was an oversight.  I wanted to send it to you directly.

> > In hanse-ml.netbsd.source-changes you write:
> > >if no DDB, define Debugger() to be a panic.
> > Shouldn't a driver not have to bother with this?
> Yes, the driver _should_ have to bother with this.

What I meant is that a call to Debuggre() from a non DDB object file
should probably automatically get converted into a panic("Attempted
call to Debugger()").

The reason is mainly, that config(8) and the kernel Makefiles can't
handle the dependencies of "options DDB."

Of course, you could argue, that in that case the kernel shouldn't
link in the first place.  But that raises the question why config(8)
doesn't blow away the compilation directory in the first place when it
can't handle the dependencies anyway.

> If something should be a panic, it should be coded as a panic.
> If it's debugging, or otherwise informational, it should be:
> 	(1) printfs, and recovery code, or
> 	(2) a panic if it's an "unrecoverable error."

Sure. I agree.  But that's a completely different matter.

--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.