Subject: Re: 100mb/sec
To: John F. Woods <jfw@FunHouse.com>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/1996 08:39:21
> In the Black Box catalog this morning (as I was leafing through it looking
> for home wiring supplies ;-), I noticed that there is now a "Fast Cat 5"
> cable which is rated for 155Mbps, with dramatically less attenuation at
> ~100MHz than Category 5 cable.  Presumably 100BaseT will be affordable
> before 155Mbps is, but all around it looks like your best investment isn't
> top of the line cables, it's conduit so that you can pull BETTER cables
> five years from now...  ;-)

Be careful here. AFAIK the ATM Forum is either just approving or
will approve a proposed Cat 3 (yes cat three) physical interface
for 155Mb ATM. I have no idea what the distance rating will be
though.

Oh, just another one here, but it may also be worth investing in STP (Sheiled
TP) not UTP...

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org