Subject: Re: seemingly dismal performance of NetBSD-1.1A/sun3 file I/O....
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@FunHouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1996 20:44:45
> The freebsd ftp sites seem to just have patch files and edited make
> files in the ports directories.  And no pointers to the original source.

You just don't know how the freebsd ports mechanism works.

The makefiles contain information that allows you to just ftp the differences
from the freebsd site, then it will automatically contact a host which hasn't
had the corresponding version of the original source for a couple of years...
(And in about half the cases I've tried, hasn't had ANY version of the source
in a couple of years.)