Subject: Re: pcvt and TIOCCONS
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1996 13:57:06
"Gordon W. Ross" writes:
> This is another manifestation of the "related devices" problem.

Yes, it is...

> CGD suggested that we implement something like the /etc/fbtab
> feature from SunOS (but with more generality).

Progbably good, but what you are proposing isn't that much more
general. It seems like the only change from SunOS is that you don't
permit stacking of multiple : separated device names on a single line,
and that you aren't specifying that the group of the devices be
changed in any way. In what way is what you are doing more general?

Also, there is no way to specify the user and group (or at least the
group) that the devices be set to, and there is no way to specify the
permissions the permissions and ownership of the devices
should be after logout. I'm not sure the latter is needed but at the
very least we should decide what group the devices should be set
to. SunOS sets them to the same user and group as the login device...

> So, that's how I think it should work.  Does this sound OK?
> Are there any volunteers to make login and getty do this?

Do both of them have to do it, or just one of them? Perhaps a utility
library routine should be written to do the job...

Perry