Subject: Re: /etc/rc vs /etc/init.d, take N
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ROSEBANK.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1996 16:18:18
> >> I like a bunch of traditional Berkeley things that NetBSD has
> >> abandoned, and indeed when I first started using NetBSD one of the
> >> first things I did was to get upset at how little NetBSD seemed to
> >> care about compatability with traditional BSD.
>
> > A fair number of things that would indicate that we didn't care about
> > compatibility with "traditional BSD," such as the removal of the BSD
> > tty code, the change in symlink behaviour, etc., CAME STRAIGHT FROM
> > BERKELEY...
>
> So?  As with the POSIX braindamage, just because someone else does it
> is not, in itself, a reason you/we should do it.

I suppose that the correct response to this is "think about it."

Berkeley never released "free" kernel code that i'm aware of, that
included the "BSD tty" code.  Perhaps Net/1 had it, but i doubt it.

Therefore, it would have been BLOODY HARD, _AND_ wasted effort (except
for 'compatibility') to implement it.

cgd