Subject: Re: Is gcc slow? Or is our gcc slow?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1996 20:01:12
>> But dumping those files into /var/tmp - indeed, even having /var/tmp
>> on /var at all - has one major lose: it means that any person, or
>> runaway program, can run you flat out of space on /var.
> They can do that by sending e-mail or syslog messages, anyway, so I
> don't see how moving /tmp off var helps much.

All unices I've ever seen are so wide open to denial-of-service attacks
by authorized users that I don't even bother trying to defend against
them.  I'm more concerned about the nonmalicious but unaware user, the
person who fires up netscape and noodles around the net on and off for
three days without exiting it, unaware that it's happily caching a copy
of everything it ever sees in /tmp...or the person who FTPs something
into /tmp (or /var/tmp) and gunzips it, unaware that it compressed
phenomenally and therefore expands phenomenally when gunzipped....

(Note: I don't know whether netscape does in fact cache stuff as I
described; I know _something_ that users use on the machines I help run
at work does something of the sort.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu