Subject: Re: libgcc installation
To: None <graphix@iastate.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1996 11:51:22
>Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 21:59:14 CDT
>From: Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>

>  Perhaps I am unaware of something but while updating a 1.0 machine to
>current I run into a problem stemming from /usr/lib/libgcc.a not being
>installed soon enough.  Wouldn't be appropriate for the build section in
>the main Makefile of the source tree to make and install libgcc
>following the installation of the other includes and libraries?

No.  Two things to note:

1) libgcc.a can only be built with gcc 2.7.2.
2) code other than gcc itself built with gcc 2.7.2 may need to be
   linked with libgcc.a (and I'm not sure about "other than gcc",
   either).

So what people should do when first building 2.7.2 is:

1) build and install all parts of gcc other than libgcc.a (really only
   need cc and cc1).
2) build and install libgcc.a.
3) 'make clean' in src/gnu/gcc.
4) build and install all of gcc.

Also, don't bother trying to update to -current from 1.0.  You'll
probably have a much easier time if you install 1.1 first.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>