Subject: Re: Is gcc slow? Or is our gcc slow?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@beverly.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1996 09:41:44
Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com (michaelv@HeadCandy.com) wrote:
:
: >>I have always found gcc to be rather slow on my NetBSD machine, and a
: >>recent example really brought it home.
: >>[...]
:
: >gcc2 has always been really slow.  I remember gcc1 being a whole lot faster.
: >Turning off -O2 _should_ speed it up somewhat.
: >(Dunno what the deal is with sed).
:
: Maybe you need to compile it with -O2...  :-)

Yeah, would guess that, too. The bunch of operations gcc -O2 does to
produce good code nowadays is so expensive, that you wouldn't want to
execute it if not optimized -O2. :-)

Heck, that beast produces 15% smaller code than the best commercial
Amiga compiler available for a certain program I'm co-author of...

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis