Subject: Re: Is gcc slow? Or is our gcc slow?
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca.headcandy.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1996 22:10:23
>If you want to eat RAM, just start Netscape. If you point it at
>the game of life or some similar form with a lot of boxes, etc. on
>it, you can swell Netscape to 8MB or so and X to over 10 MB.

Ah... what bit depth are you running X at?  I'm still stuck at 8-bit
color on this particular machine.  Going 24-bit color would be likely
to make a detrimental impact on memory use.

My 8-bit color X server rarely goes over 2MB RSS...  And, when it gets
significantly higher than that, it's usually because two events
coincide: 1) I just did something that pushed a lot of things out of
memory, and now I have this large several-megabyte chunk of unused
memory, and 2) I just started netscape and pointed it at a colorful
site.  Even then, I don't think I've *ever* seen my X server over 4MB.

I could easily be convinced that you'd want another 8MB of RAM if
you're running 24-bit color, however.

               Sun4/4c/4m, DEC MIPS, DEC Alpha, PC532, VAX...