Subject: Re: Is gcc slow? Or is our gcc slow?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1996 22:09:07
>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

Jason> On Tue, 9 Apr 1996 03:02:58 +0200
Jason> juengst@saph1.physik.uni-bonn.de (H. J|ngst, ISKP, Bonn) wrote:

>> > My MVME-147 would certainly rather not run the cpp, cc1, and as
>> processes > at the same time :-)
>>
>> Sounds like the best environment for a multitasking/multiuser
>> operation system. :^)

Jason> Actually, I'm well aware that it's a pretty slow system, but it
Jason> has other intrinsic value (as far as I'm concerned):

Jason> All of this, of course, boils down to "nifty appeal".

	This all reminded me that I wanted to ask if anyone thought it
would be possible to port NetBSD to a 68010-based architecture.  I
have access to a few copies of a 'Sylogics' computer.  They have a
68010, 4 serial ports, some form of early array processor (some sort
of DSP?), 16 meg of memory, an ethernet board and an ST-506 disk
controller.

	When they were sold, they were sold with some form of UN*X.
Some of this, I'm guessing at, but most of the guesses seem
reasonable.

	However, I don't know if the 68010 has the abilities that
NetBSD needs in a chip --- I know that the 68000 doesn't.  I also
don't have a lot of documentation on the machines --- besides the fact
that all the chips seem rather stock (16450 serial chips, for
instance).

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |