Subject: Re: status of PPP compression?
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1996 17:57:51
On Mon Apr  8 16:58:44 1996, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Apr 1996, Mike Long wrote:
>
> > You may need to add one or both of the following lines to your kernel
> > config:
> >
> > 	options PPP_COMPRESS
>
> actually, that should be PPP_BSDCOMP
>
> > 	options PPP_DEFLATE
> >
> > PPP (non-VJ) compression is optional because it bloats the kernel by
> > ~35K.
>
>   I just looked at this because I was putting it in my kernel config file
> (might as well try it out, eh :) and wanted a meaningful comment there too.
> It seems to me that the only things that defining these options would do is
> to control whether or not the compressions were known about (in
> net/if_ppp.c), not reduce kernel bloat at all..
[..]

No, your are wrong. Take a look in src/sys/conf/files:

Line 199-201:

file net/bsd-comp.c                     ppp_bsdcomp
file net/ppp-deflate.c                  ppp_deflate
file net/zlib.c                         ppp_deflate

You see that this three files are only included if you use this two options
in your kernel-config.

Bernd