Subject: Re: Is gcc slow? Or is our gcc slow?
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: UNIX hacker and security officer <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/09/1996 09:27:15
#   (Actually, that [using MFS instead of -pipe] won't really work, because,
#   for some INCREDIBLY
#   BONE-HEADED REASON, gcc puts its temporary files in /var/tmp...
#   However, other things i've proposed, e.g. my /etc/mk.conf PR, would
#   allow you to easily add -pipe to your system compiler flags, if you
#   want it...)

I believe that reason is that /var on most sane systems% has more space
into which to shove those temporary files than does /tmp, even if /tmp
happens to be its own filesystem.

#
#
#   cgd

% Your definition of "sane" may vary; I usually allocate /tmp as MFS
  myself, and /var is usually 24M or more for a typical machine, and
  obviously much, much more if I'm setting up a central mailbox or a
  news server.  I realise that many people may not have this kind of
  disk space just "sitting around", and disk isn't free, but, hey...

				--*greywolf;
--
Have A Nice Day.  (not valid in FL, OR, WA, PA, MA, CO, OH, NC, SC, AL, GA,
LA, OK, TX, AR, ND, ID, SD, IA, MO, TN, KY, VA, UT, WY, MT, KA)