Subject: Re: Is gcc slow? Or is our gcc slow?
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1996 22:34:02
>> 	I'd guess that -pipe is only really noticably faster on machines
>> where the processor is really fast and the disk is really slow.

>Actually, i'd say it's:
>	on machines where the processor is really fast, and the disk
>	is really slow, and you have boatloads of RAM.
>Say, an Alpha with 96M of RAM, booted diskless, as your "best case." 8-)

You certainly don't need 96MB of RAM to make effective use of -pipe.
I get excellent results with it with 24MB of RAM.  Running X, on a
486, with all the "standard" daemons, my machine rarely swaps unless I
decide I need to do a bunch of other things at the same time.

Sure, using emacs GNUS and running ispell on a post will cause it to
swap... but it does that even without a compile going. :-)

               Sun4/4c/4m, DEC MIPS, DEC Alpha, PC532, VAX...