Subject: Re: NFS woes (was Re: More stuck in D state woes)
To: Eric Volpe <epv@panix.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1996 21:18:30
> [ ... ]
>
> This has been happening to us really badly too.

I'ts not been happening to me, but...

> We have also been having the problem that if a -current machine that's
> serving NFS goes down and then comes back up, many if not all of the
> machines which were mounting it's filesystems will no longer be able to
> access those filesystems, but will just hang when trying to do so. This
> happens with downtimes as short as a couple of minutes.I htought NFS was
> supposed to be stateless?

(And this is pulling a potential solution out of my butt... 8-)

If you're talking about NetBSD clients, or other clients that use
NFSv3, you might try using NFSv2 (by specifying the -2 mount option).

It could very well be that there's no NFSv3-specific problem, but
that's where I'd put my money.  8-)

chris